This little monster is the Skoda-built 305mm mortar produced for the Czech army in the interwar years. A total of 17 such mortars were in service when Czechoslovakia was occupied by the Germans, who immediately pressed the 305 mm into service under the designation 30.5 cm Morser. An additional six of the mortars were captured in Yugoslavia and also saw service on the Eastern Front under the designation 638(j). Photo taken in 1938.
Slovak Soldiers parading in Bratislava. Slovakia was declared independent shortly before the beginning of WW2 and joined Germany in the invasion of Poland and the USSR. In 1944, a Slovak nationalist uprising led to a German invasion. Eventually, Slovakia rejoined the Czechs to form eastern bloc Czechoslovakia.
1938- Czech soldiers receiving refreshments as they prepare to leave Prague by train.
Czechoslovak soldiers patrolling the town of Krásná Lípa (German: Schönlinde) in the Sudeten Region, September 1938.
1938 Partition of Czechoslovakia - Polish Army soldiers taking a group pose after replacing the Czechoslovak coat of arms with the Polish coat of arms over the Ligotka post office.
[Photo] President Edvard Bene of Czechoslovakia, circa 1942
President Edvard Beneš of Czechoslovakia, circa 1942
Life October 3 1938
Czech soldiers perform military exercises near Prague prior to the German invasion and occupation of the Sudetenland and the conquest of Czechoslovakia. Under the pretext that ethnic German populations living in the Sudetenland were being marginalized and that Czechoslovakia was descending into chaos and Germany needed to restore order in the country, German troops moved into the remainder of Czechoslovakia on 16 March 1939. Image taken by Margaret Bourke-White.