Hades is well-known as the infamous god of The Underworld. He is accompanied in this underworld - also called Hades - by his lovely wife Persephone, the goddess of Spring, and his trusty hellhound, the
After the dissolution of the monastries in 1539 the nave of the Priory was allowed to continue as a parish church and is still in use today as the parish church of St.Mary and St.Cuthbert. All the other priory buildings were stripped of their lead roofs, leaving the stone work exposed to the elements. Over time the stone structures weakened and began to fall down. Rather than leaving good stone to go to waste is was pillaged and today can be found in buildings up and down the Wharfe valley.